Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Movie Review: Slumdog Millionaire


I have to be honest what I thought this movie was going to be about and what it actually was about couldnt be further apart. For that I was pleasantly suprised. The story is about a young man from India (Mumbai I believe) and the movie chronicles his struggles growing up in the inner city of mumbai. It also focuses on the relationship between the lead character and his brother. This is one of my favorite themes of the movie, becuase even though brothers love and care for each other they can often be very competitive. This is a major focus of conflict throughout the story. I guess it could also be seen as a love story as well, but to be honest the other themes in this movie were more powerful to me. The entire story is told over his appearance on the Indian version of Who Wants to be a Millionaire. I would compare this movie a lot to a Brazilian movie I love called City of God. You really get to see a side of India that I have never seen before and it is very interesting. I know a lot of people get turned off by subtitles but I am telling you many of the best movies i have seen in recent years have subtitles. You wont even notice them after a while. It is refreshing to see an innovative story like this after just watching Pineapple Express. Which could be considered the opposite of a story like this. Anyways the story is very heavy and at some points it kind of glamorizes lifes in the slums and growing up in poverty. It is a heavy movie, but definately worth the watch.

No comments: