Monday, March 1, 2010

I Can Stop Caring About Hockey For Another 4 Years...


I am sure a lot of you caught the Gold Medal game yesterday in which Canada edged the US 3-2 in overtime to win the gold. It was a great game, and I literally could not turn away from the tv for the last 10 minutes of regulation and overtime. Though I knew the names of many American players, and knew the teams in which the ones with Wisconsin ties played for, I can honestly say my interest in Hockey will be absolutely zero until the next Olympics. Yes I may watch a playoff game if Golden Boy Crosby is matched up against the Alexander the Great. I may even tune into a few of the NHL finals, but to think that anybody is really going to care about NHL because of the success the Olympic team had is foolish. The NHL is a long way behind, the NFL, MLB, NBA, Nascar, and even Golf in this country, and even a great showing by the US over the last two weeks cannot change that. I will say this, the game can be fun to watch if you have a rooting interest, and I plan on following Bucky as they try and get through the WCHA tournament, and hopefully as they get back to a frozen four. But if you dont have a team to follow or if there isn't a gold medal on the line, there is no reason really to have any interest. I think part of that reason is the nobody knows the stars of the NHL besides the two mentioned above. I mean this first i had heard of Ryan Miller or Zac Parise was about 2 weeks ago, and they nearly carried the US to gold. I am not sure how the NHL goes about getting its brand out there and getting people to care about hockey (my thought is to contract the league some, and shrink down the overall talent pool), but I think it is going to take more than that great game to get people to tune in. I hope I am wrong because like I said it is a sport I do enjoy, but after the game yesterday I had completely shifted focus to NCAA bracketology and not whether or not San Jose has enough to win the cup. I am curious as to how everyone else feels?

6 comments:

Timmay said...

Not so fast, tuff-tits.

Duke Hockey


In all seriousness, I'm looking to sell our tickets for the third game of UW's home playoff series on Sun. March 14. It's only going to be played if the series is tied after Friday and Saturday, so it would be one of those things where you pay after if the game is played.

Big Tasty said...

Oh good god, I thought you were going to go in a rant about where you were when you were watching the Miracle on Ice, and your dad buying you a US Mark Johnson Jersey as a child, which would of course make you a "real" US Hockey Fan. Thank god it was only a quick duke bash.

As for the game, man I would love to go, but in my geekness I scheduled a fantasy baseball draft that day. I am predicting sweep anyways so nothing to worry about.

Timmay said...

Seriously, Tasty, you know I'm a Badgers fan, but I will never claim to be a hockey super fan. I don't believe I've ever watched more than 10 minutes of an NHL game or a college game that didn't involve the Badgers. I did watch a couple of the Olympic games, but the national stuff doesn't really get me all that fired up. I hate Minnesota much more than I hate Canada.

Big Tasty said...

I think everyone is an agreement that Minnesota should just become part of Canada. I did find the game riveting, but I just dont see how the NHL can build too much off that momentum just because nobody knows the teams. Plus the International rules made for a great game to watch. I love that they go to 4 on 4 and then to a shoot out. That is exciting. The NHL has these five overtimes thrillers, but you couldnt pay me enough to sit through that.

Anonymous said...

She purred as he pulled out, rolling onto her side as he moved aside. He looked so…vivid, almost more real than the other two men, or perhaps less real. If were something new and unexpected, then how do you know were not in love? His attention was on her again, those red eyes intense even over the distance. Someone was there to help her.
[url=http://cumonshot.1sthost.org/index11.html]free facial cum shots[/url]

McGarnagle said...

Lol, this Anonymous guy just posted my favorite post of the blog's history! Surpassing Gruny's likening of Browne to Todd Coffee in a family tball game..