Thursday, March 29, 2007

My Thoughts on the Final Four (Long)

First of all I would like to say that the quality of teams is the best that I can remember and any of these teams can win it all. I know it is easy to say that they have all one 4 in a row in a very good tournament but, I honestly think these are the four best teams in the country. Kansas would have to be 4a and I think they would beat UCLA 7 out of 10 but they didnt. What is really interesting is that they all won there conference titles and three of them won conference tourney titles. That is quite impressive. If you look at the toughest road I think they all played similar tough matchups all having one marquee victory this tournament. UCLA, as I mentioned beat Kansas, Ohio State crushed an underrated Memphis team, Georgetown lucked out against both Vandy and Carolina, and Florida has handled there business all throughout, but I thought Oregon would give them a better game. As for coaches Matta and Howland are in the 4th year at there respective schools while Thompson III is in his 3rd year. Donovan has coached 9 years is the only one that has been to a final four, his 3rd, and has as you know won a national championship. I would say he gives Florida a nod in this category. However, all of these coaches are highly regarded and all have there own unique styles that there teams reflect.

Okay lets look at the UCLA vs Florida rematch of last years title game. It is easy to say UCLA lost more from last years team Jordan Farmar is gone while Florida basically has the same team. However I think this will be a better matchup. Collison has blossomed and is as good as Farmar was. He is great a stretching the D. Ship is also somebody who didnt play last year and can provide scoring. UCLA is known for the defense, espicially interior defense, where they are known for double teaming all post entries. This is going to be difficult with the skilled passing big men of Florida. This could burn them if Humphrey's and Green continue to shoot the way the have. I think the key of the game will be can UCLA control the glass and not let Floridas bigs impose there will. I think UCLA can score on Floridas D and they will will give them some problems with there quickness on the perimeter. I think this will be a close game but I think the bigs of Florida, Noah, Brewer, Horford will in the end be too much.

In the other game you have the most intriguing matchup of the year and maybe of the last 10 final fours. The return of the big man to college basketball 7'1" Greg Oden vs 7'2" Roy Hibbert. What a matchup not to mention some other skilled big men in this game Othello Hunter, Ivan Harris, Dejuan Summers, coming off a great regional, Vernon Macklin, and probably the best player in the game Jeff Green. You could probably even include highly touted tOSU freshman Daquan Cook and David Lighty and Senior glue guy, Pat Ewing Jr. in the mix for the battle inside. However I think there are two huge keys to this game, can the Georgetown backcourt match the or at least come close to matching the production of tOSU backcourt. Jamar Butler, Ron Lewis, and Mike Conley have been so good for the Buckeyes all year. They create, they lead, and they are all good shooters. THey open it up for the big guys of the Buckeyes. Sapp and Wallace need to do the same. I really think Oden and Hibbert will cancel eachother out. Hunter on Green is a fascinating matchup, but I think whatever teams guards can hit a few shots and take care of the ball will lead there team to victory. I hate saying this but it is hard for me to bet against Mike Conley and they way he is playing right now. My pick is a final matchup of Florida vs Ohio State. Either way they should be great exciting games. Monday I will give my Championship preview.

No comments: