Thursday, June 21, 2007

DVD Rental Day

Well I rented a few movies this week but none really blew me away. All of them had some good qualities so I will give a brief synopsis of each and let you decide if it is worth the late fees. I forgot in this net flix era there are no more late fees.

Breech

I was really excited to see this movie. I think Chris Cooper is vastly overrated and i always liked Ryan Phillipe. I dont really know why I didnt like this movie. It is based on a true story of a mole in the FBI that worked for the Soviets, and then Russia. It is a well written screen play with good twists, a lot of suspense, and will keep you guessing. However I just think that the movie as whole moved to slow, and the characters never really grew on me. I though Cooper was very good and Philippe was good also it just never really captivated me the way good movies usually do. I would say worth a rent, but I preferred the Good Shephard, a similar story, to this.

Hard Candy

No this is a heavy movie about a relationship between a 14 year old and a man she meets over the internet. I think I enjoyed this movie more than Breech just because it was a wild story and I havent seen a movie like this before. It wasnt a great movie, but the girl delivers a wonderful performance. The problem I had with this movie is I think it was a good idea and the story works for the most part, but sometimes it is a little hard to believe. I know it is a movie and a lot of them are hard to believe, but these indie type films, usually try and stick as close as they can to reality. Sometimes this girl is just too smart and it takes away from the horrific theme the director is trying to convey.

Seraphim Falls

I am not sure if you read my review on the western called The Proposition, but this movie is similar in much respect, however i feel this is just not quite as good. Dont worry though because this is a good movie, I just thought The Proposition was one of the best of last year. This is a western about revenge starring Liam Neeson and Pierce Brosnan, what is odd about this movie is there is no background story what so ever. We start out with Neeson's character hunting down Brosnans character and we really dont know why. This is quite refreshing because so many movies spend so much time delivering the back drop and introducing the characters, it is refreshing when you have to think about what is going on and make your own conclusion about characters as the story goes on. I dont want a script that follows the lineal equation to a tee. We are smart let the viewers figure some of this out on our own. As the story goes on we find that Brosnan's character has a past that he cannot run from and in the end we find out that revenge is so often done in futility. I reccommend this as a rent, but not before you see the more powerful movie with a similar message, The Proposition.

No comments: