Thursday, May 1, 2008

If you are interested...

This is a response I got from my congresswoman in regards to escalating gas prices. I thought a few things were interesting. Her thoughts on oil companies price gouging is interesting, because I do believe that during a time of emergency a president can stop price gouging and set prices at what he believes is fair market value. This would definately be up for Constitutional debate, but our current energy crises, could conceivably fall under the President's police powers. Therefore if we continue to rage war with the rest of the middle east, maybe a new president will be able to stop prices from continuing to sky rocket, at least temporarily.

Basically the response was what I expected. She gave me the run around, but at least it was a response. Basically that is all I wanted to hear. Let me know your thoughts?


May 1, 2008


Mr. Matt E. Browne
46 Tower Drive
Sun Prairie, Wisconsin 53590

Dear Mr. Browne:

Thank you for contacting me regarding high gas prices. It is good to hear from you, and I apologize for the delay in my response.

I appreciate knowing your concerns regarding high gasoline costs. I share your frustrations with the high price of gasoline, oil, and other fuels. I realize the impact the costs have on Wisconsin families and businesses that rely on gasoline to get them to work or that rely on natural gas to heat their homes.

Many have expressed concern that oil companies are price gouging and excessively profiting off America's misfortune. As you know, while American consumers have encountered high prices at the pumps, oil companies have been earning record-breaking profits. Last year, Exxon Mobil's fourth quarter profit rose to $10.7 billion, bringing their annual profit to over $36 billion. You will be interested to know that I recently sent a letter to President Bush urging him to call oil executives to account for the unsustainably high price of gasoline. I am concerned that some of the costs may be due to excess profit-taking by the gasoline industry. As you may know, there is currently no federal law banning price gouging.

To remedy this situation, I am a cosponsor of the Federal Price Gouging Prevention Act, H.R. 1252. This bill makes price gouging for necessary goods and services, such as gasoline, during natural disasters and other "energy emergencies" illegal. This bill authorizes the President to designate a period of time as an energy emergency, which outlaws price gouging during this time. You may be interested to know that I recently joined 284 of my colleagues in the U.S. House of Representatives in passing this bill by a vote of 284 to 141. This bill is currently awaiting further action in the U.S. Senate. Please know that I will keep your thoughts as I continue to support measures which prevent oil and gas vendors from holding consumers hostage with high prices during a time of national emergency.

Additionally, I believe we can lower the cost of gas by exploring alternative, renewable sources for energy. For this reason, I support several bills which lower our dependence on foreign oil, reduce our consumption of fossil fuels, and increase our fuel efficiency. I believe that if approach the problem of high gas prices by ensuring that gas companies are not engaging in unfair business practices as well as exploring and implementing alternative, renewable options we will all benefit from lower gas prices and a healthier environment. Please know that I will keep your thoughts in mind regarding high gas prices as I continue to support measures which will lower the cost of energy.

Again, thank you for sharing your views. Your opinion matters to me. If I can be of service to you in any other way, please do not hesitate to let me know. As a security precaution, all mail sent to Congress is first irradiated. This process causes significant delays. To ensure the fastest response, I encourage all constituents who have access to the internet to contact me through my website at http://tammybaldwin.house.gov.

Sincerely,

Tammy Baldwin Member of Congress

P.S. I regularly send out email updates on federal issues and opportunities. These reports also include regular surveys through which you can express your opinion. If you would like to receive these email updates, you may sign up by visiting my website at: http://www.house.gov/formbaldwin/IMA/get_address_news.htm

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats what we get for putting two oil men in the white house and a prez who does not want to act or admit that the country is in a recession. He will ride out the last 8 months bitching that the congress does nothing, while vetoing every piece of legeslation that comes across his desk.

CC

Anonymous said...

Gas prices are a fiasco.

Then again, my retirement account performance depends in part upon oil company stocks - as do the pension funds and 401k's of most working stiffs.

6 to 5 and pick 'em.