Friday, June 12, 2009

Live Music Friday

Mad Trucker Gone Mad. It's not just a kickass psycho-billy outfit based in Madison. It's a lifestyle. They started out in the mid-90's with a different lineup, and have gone through some reincarnations since then, with the only constant being Isaac as the singer / guitarist. They don't play as much as they used to, but Isaac is a friend, so I still try to catch them when I can.

I had the good fortune of being at the show in the clip. We had just found out my wife was pregnant a couple of days earlier, so it turns out that this was my son's first live show as well.

Not only are they a raucous, in-your-face live act, they also remind me of a time when I was going out to see these guys just about every weekend, along with several other bands that they often played with. It was a fun time to be in Madison, and it took a major hit when O'Cayz burned down (a couple of hours after a rocking Mad Trucker show on New Year's Eve, attended by Yours Truly). Cathy from O'Cayz opened the High Noon Saloon, and that place is great, but it's just too big and too clean to continue the O'Cayz tradition. On the other hand, The Frequency gives me some hope that Madison will revive the tiny, shit-hole rock club tradition.

Around the 4-minute mark, you can hear one of the tracks from their first album release, about the time I had met those guys and started checking out their shows. Go ahead, treat yourself.


No comments: