Thursday, August 6, 2009

Baby Update

So August is finally here, and I am just week/weeks away from being a daddy. The Dr. told my girlfriend at her last visit that he believes the new due date is one week from today, so I am getting very excited. Jenny has done so well, she suprised me with her toughness and will power through out this pregnancy. I have a new respect for women after watching what she has gone through. I honestly dont know how they can do it.

With only a few weeks left I am more anxious than nervous. The nerves are gone I am completely ready (well I will probably think different at 4 AM of the first week) to be a dad. Those scary moments that I had in the beginning of this, have subsided and I am just truly looking forward to the next challenge in my life. The baby room looks amazing, we have enough baby stuff to have octuplets, and I am the proud new owner of a video camera to catch all of Adeylnn's firsts. Like I said all I can do is wait, I havent been sleeping hardly at all lately as I can only think about what my life is going to be like just a few months from now. So far this has been the hardest part for me, just trying to wait patiently.

When the baby gets here I am sure all hell is going to break loose. Jenny is measuring pretty big the Dr says so they anticipate a big baby, which has Jenny very scared. Which I am sure all women go through before giving birth. I have been trying to be as reassuring as possible that she can and will get through this, but it is still tough. So needless to say I dont think either of us are looking forward to labor, but it is part of the miracle that is life, so we will deal with it. We have a lot of family and friends that seem more excited than we are. I am sure they are going to want to see the baby as soon as possible which should make the hospital a freaking zoo. i am leaving visitors up to Jenny if she wants them then they are welcome if not, good luck getting past me me.

Some interesting questions have come up with the baby nearing. I have to up my life insurance policies, we have to decide which insurance to put the baby on, whose last name is she going to have, and whether or not she is going to be baptized. I tell you what those things never crossed my mind once, 7 months ago. for the most part all of these things pretty much work themselves out. I have a buddy who has been trying to sell me some insurance for a while, Jenny is fine with our baby being a Browne, and I think at least for the first year, our baby will go on Jenny's insurance. So really those things have worked out. We also plan on having our baby baptized. Yet I do have some issues. What do you look for when trying to pick a church to take your child too? Do the parents have to be members to have there child baptized. I have no interest in joining the church, I mean I would for the sake of our daughter if I had too, but my beliefs dont neccassarily follow in line witht he church. With that being said, I think it is essential that our daughter is baptized and raised with a certain amount of religion. After all I do believe that religion along with family is still the moral backbone of this country, and I am hoping that her faith can help her through sometimes when Jenny and I may not. I also think it provides some very good opportunities to socaliaze with people her own age. Jenny cannot wait to teach sunday school. It is all very interesting and I would love to hear from TK or maybe some of my readers on what they think about getting your child baptized. I think the positives definitely out weigh the negatives, for reasons listed above, what are your thoughts?

8 comments:

meanbeav said...

My beliefs don't necessarily vibe with the church either, but I would definitely get my kids baptized and send them to church/Sunday school/catechism...the whole bit. One of the biggest reasons is that they can't learn about church in school, so how could they ever make an informed decision about religion or have an intelligent conversation about it without ever attending? Also, just because I don't go to church doesn't mean that my kids won't want to someday and they should be given the option to go if they choose to.

Silverback said...

I do not see any down fall in having your child baptized. If she grows up to not believe in God, so be it. If she does grow up believing in God, then at least you have given her the first step. But I have no idea idea if you have to belong to that church to have it done there. But if you do, I would prepare yourself to answer the question about getting married...

Big Tasty said...

So far the feedback has been great and I appreciate it. One of the issues I have with myself joing the church is the fact that i am having a baby out of wedlock and I believe that is frowned upon. Though we are almost certainly going to baptize her Lutheran, so I am not sure it is going to be that big of an issue. I mean single moms arent allowed to go to Church? That seems pretty fucking absurd. Since my Sundays are spent on the couch watching football, Jenny can just say that her husband died base jumping off the sears tower. Becuase all though you are not allowed to join the church with having a child out of wedlock lying about it is completely acceptable.

meanbeav said...

It depends on the church. Holy Trinity in Marshall baptized my brother, and my mom & stepdad weren't married when he was born, they were living together, and my mom had already been divorced once. I'm pretty sure they would accept you guys.

C-Weed said...

Big Boi, I was totally going to reply to this whole-wholeheartedly than I see your .gif image of a the submissive wanking motion, while you are trying to make life decisions for your unborn daughter. And I realize that you should probably skip the baptism and sunday skool and just hand her over to a nun and hope for the best.

Chuck Dickens said...

First off congratulations. I'm sure you'll raise a good kid. Second off, you shouldn't have a problem finding a church. Although you might have to jump through some hoops like attend some services and bring a dish to the potluck. Some old ladies might want to hold your baby and make cutesy wootsy baby sounds at her. Maybe even steal her nose or play peek-a-boo.

Unknown said...

Have you ever considered just having her baptized at the hospital? If church really isn't for you and your not overly concerned with what everyone else thinks you should do....I think it's something to consider.

Timmay said...

A. Hilarious comment by C-Weed.

B. Don't sweat it, MB. Some stupid churches that have lost their roots might frown on a child whose parents aren't married. However, JC himself would be glad to baptize Addy, and any church worth its salt would do the same. Likewise, even if you're not a member, a church should be happy to provide the service in exchange for a reasonable donation of your choosing. Just make some phone calls to the churches during the week and talk to the office lady and see if they are open to it, and if so you can swing by on a Sunday morning and check it out. That's basically how we found the church we were married in and the church we belong to now, which was motivated by finding a baptism for Myles. We ended up joining each church, but that isn't an obligation.

As far as Lutherans go, I would recommend an ELCA church for begginers. That is sort of the less rigid version of Lutheran.