Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Justin Townes Earle

When you're the son of Steve Earle and your daddy named you after his mentor, tormentor and personal friend and co-drunk, Townes Van Zandt, I suppose it wouldn't be surprising if you took a shot at the music business and ended up hospitalized and near death due to drug and alcohol abuse in your early 20s. However, what would be pretty surprising no matter who the hell you are would be coming out of that clean and sober and writing amazing songs like this one. For all my love of live music and dreams of being in a band even in my basement, I really wish I could just pick up my guitar and write a song that means as much as this one, and perform it solo and have even one person give a shit about it. For Justin, the song is about coming to grips and finally admitting to himself that his father is a big influence on his life, but goddamnit, that's not the whole story about who he is and who he can be. There's somebody else that was there to raise him, and that is even more important to who he is. I relate to that for many reasons. With thousands of people coming up to him on tour and talking about him following in his daddy's footsteps, he's been very clear that he wanted to "set the record straight" about whom he takes after. It just took him a few mistakes to figure it out. I can relate on a personal and emotional level, but I think anybody can hear that this is a gutsy, honest songwriting effort and that the kid has a bright, bright future.

No comments: