Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Fall Guide to Television Part 1

One major adjustment I had to make with having a baby is not going out as much. It has actually been easier than I thought. I have went to a bar twice in the last month. I am starting to get accustomed to staying in on a Friday and Saturday and either making a nice dinner or odering in. Another thing I have been doing a lot of is catching up some of my favorite TV shows. This first part is kind of a review/preview of shows that have new seasons starting soon. If anyone agrees/disagrees with my review please post a comment.



Mad Men (AMC, Season 3 airs 8/16, 9 PM Central)

I have given this show some props before and have posted some of the shows beautiful vixens for hump day. Yes that is one reason to watch, but the main reason is the show is smart, funny, and incredible sexy. Though it shown on the AMC channel, so it cannot cross the line really, it is able to toe the line in a way that leaves you coming back for more. The show is about NYC ad men, who make there living doing advertisements for a large firm. The show is set in the early 1960's and ties in real history with the themes and plots of the show. The 60s to me was a fascinating time to live in the US and this show is probably the best depiction that I have seen of that era. The lead character Don Draper (played by Jon Hamm) is a mysterious man that is haunted by his past. He is the Frank Sinatra of advertisment and although he is great with the ladies and in his business, at home he has his problems like everyone else. Another aspect I really enjoyed about the show is the struggle of power between men and women. This was a time where women were starting to come into there own in the work place and beginning to be considered equals, though often the men they work with didnt feel that way. It is just very interesting time in US history, with a lot going on. Guys watch one episode and tell me you dont want to be Don Draper. The show does have some slow moments, and the fact that it is not on HBO or showtime gets frustrating, but overall they have wonderful characters, and a pretty good storyline. You throw in the look and style which is as good as any TV show I have ever seen and you truly wonderful television.



It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia (FX, season 5 airs 9/17, at 10 PM Central)

When I first started watching this show, I have to admit I didnt think it was that funny. I caught a couple episodes and yeah they had some slap stick humor but overall I didnt see the genious of it. Then I started watching them from the beginning and now I think it is the best sitcom on television. The show follows a group of friends in Philly who are running a shitty run down bar. The show basically chronicles the lives of five of the funniest losers in Philly. I think my favorite thing about this show is the creators of the show are also the stars, and they have a wonderful chemistry. It gets to a point after you see enough episodes that you can almost finish the lines, because they play these personalities to such a tee. In season 2 they added Danny Devito, and I never knew what type of comedic genious he could be. Devito, plays Frank, who is father to two of the members in the group. Frank is a terrible father, who is famous for his get rich schemes and his crude way of doing business. Just like a Seinfeld or a Curb, I can explain the comedic genious that is this show, you just need to watch for yourself. Season 5 starts in September and Season 4 is due in stores I believe next week. I urge you to go out and rent some of the previous seasons and catch up, you wont be dissapointed.

No comments: