Friday, September 18, 2009

LMF - Arcade Fire

Fuckin' Canadians. Worse yet, French Canadians. In this case, though, let's give 'em a pass, eh? Arcade Fire is a band out of Montreal that really isn't like anybody else I had heard before. They are led by Win Butler on vocals and his wife on the keys and vocals. They play this soaring wall of sound, which includes at least 2 drummers, several guitars and, depending upon the track, you also hear accordion, violin, viola, double bass, cello, xylophone, harps, mandolins, horns and whatever else they feel like - not to mention as many as 7 or 8 voices joining soaring backing vocal parts. On many tracks, you'll hear two different keyboard parts with 3 guitar parts, 2 different guys banging on drums, somebody playing a violin and the whole bunch of them singing. I really enjoy the two albums they've put out, the indie award winning Funeral from 2004, which was declared album of the year by several indie publications, as well as 2007's follow up, Neon Bible. The sounds are so big, bold and numerous that I always wondered how those tracks could possibly be pulled off on the live stage. It turns out that they do it by putting 6, 8 or more people into the act. What a spectacle and what an entertaining live show.

More recently, their beautiful tune "Wake Up" is being featured prominently in the trailer for the upcoming Spike Jonze film adaptation of Maurice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are. Rumor has it that the band took a short break and are now back at it, working on a new album. Point of fact: I will make a big effort to see these guys in person. I think a memorable experience is guaranteed.

I really think my favorite song of theirs is "Rebellion (Lies)," just a really cool sound and a really cool lyric about how one should never, ever go to sleep. You can check it out here if you're not familiar. Make sure to listen to the end.

However, for LMF, I really couldn't pass over the awesome performance of "Wake Up" below, where Arcade Fire is joined on stage by David Bowie. Just a special event to behold.

2 comments:

Big Tasty said...

TK,

I liked that link a lot and liked the other songs you recommended. My only problem was the fact that the leader singer looked like a bull dike. But nice post. Also I am getting very jacked for where the wild things are.

McGarnagle said...

TK,

Arcade Fire rocks. Amazingly written music and lyrics. You can tell the band really cares about it's craft. I am looking forward to seeing them live.

Neon Bible has 3 songs that are some of the best I have heard in the last 2 years.

With that said, I would punch Win Butler in the face, and so would Wayne Coyne of the Flaming Lips..he is a arrogant, and suffers from the disease that afflicts many artists "Knowitallitis"