Tuesday, May 1, 2007

NFL Draft Part Two: The Losers

C

Pittsburg Steelers- I really think Timmons could be the best linebacker in this draft especially in Pittsburg. He hasn’t played football for that, one year starter at FSU, but when he gets the 3-4 figured out he has all the tools. Woodley is an energy guy that should also give them production at rush end. I really though Micheal Bush would have been a good fit for them in the third, as they still do not have a compliment to Willie Parker.

Jacksonville Jaguars- The Jags traded down and still got the guy the wanted in Florida safety Reggie Nelson so it wasn’t a bad draft, but Justin Durant and Mike Walker who are solid picks, do not give them the speed rusher the badly needed to make Peyton Manning and Vince Young’s life difficult.

Chicago Bears- The Bears filled a need with TE Olsen, but they failed to do what has made them the cream of the NFC for the last two seasons, that is build depth on defense. With Tank Johnson probably out half the year and Ian Scott yet to be resigned Branch seemed to be a perfect fit. Garret Wolfe is an interesting player, but I think Lorenzo Booker would have been a better fit. I don’t see Wolfe even coming close to the production of Thomas Jones. Olsen needs to become the second coming of Bavarro for this to be an exceptional draft, and I just do not see that happening.

Denver Broncos- I guess I don’t really think the Broncos had a bad draft I just question some of the moves they made. I like Jarvis Moss with the 1st round pick he is a solid selection who should give them a great pass rush opposite Dumervil. I am not sold on Ryan Harris the Tackle from Notre Dame being tough enough to play LT in the NFL, and Marcus Tubbs, looks more like Dexter Manley then Warren Sapp.

Indianapolis Colts-
Again I don’t think the Colts had a bad draft just question some of the picks. Anthony Gonzalez has to be thanking someone to fall into the perfect system, he is going to flourish. Stopping the run was a big problem for them and they lost one of there best linebackers in Cato June, a replacement, or a run stuffing D-tackle to take Monte Reagors spot would have been nice.

New Orleans Saints- The Saints went offense with 2 of there top 4 picks with Receiver Meacham and RB Antonio Pittman. Both of those guys are good, but those were not needs. I thought Chris Houston of Arkansas would have been a smarter number one and I just don’t see this defense improved through this draft.

Dallas Cowboys- This grade could be imcomplete since they get a future first rounder from the Browns in the Quinn trade. That pick could land them a nice running back next year with Slaton, McFadden, Rice, and Hart all available. They did get a perfect compliment to Demarcus Ware in Anthony Spencer, but none of there other picks impressed me.

Tampa Bay Buccanears- Gaines Adams and Simeon Rice should make that defense intimidating again. Aaron Sears is a nice runner-up prize since Joe Thomas did not slip down to them. I think they added good depth, but I think a replacement for there to aging cornerbacks, Kelly and Barber, should have been addressed.

C-

Baltimore Ravens- I like the two lineman the selected in Ben Grubbs from Auburn and Marshal Yanda from Iowa. That was an area that needed to be addressed. I just don’t see any special players from this draft class and that happens when you pick at the bottom of every round.

Cincinnati Bengals- I don’t think Hall is ever going to be a pro bowl quality CB. From what I saw of him he was helped by playing in a great defense and he was exposed when playing against other elite players. Kenny Irons is a nice compliment to Rudy Johnson, but I don’t see a ton of upside with him either. Their draft was solid but nothing spectacular.

Houston Texans- I think Amobi Okoye could be one of the most special players in this draft, he has that much ability. I also agree you need to build that defense up to win in that division, however they had a chance to take a few players that would have given there 40 Million dollar investment, Matt Schaub, more chances to succeed and I don’t think they did.

San Diego Chargers- This is a team with out a lot of holes, but one that I do think they have is on the corner both offensively and defensively. Craig Davis was the number 3 receiver on his college team, and he could be great but I thought Anthony Gonzalez would have been a great weapon over the middle to compliment Antonio Gates. They did add good depth on the defense.

New York Giants-
Not a bad draft by any means but nothing special either. I thought offensive line should have been priority number one, but apparenty it wasn’t. I like Aaron Ross but I think he has more of a second round grade. Steve Smith, is a great compliment to Burress and should be a real good possession receiver for the G-Men.

St Louis Rams- Adam Carriker is a guy who is going to add excellent versatility to that defensive line, but they may have taken him too early. I thought a safety like Reggie Nelson would have been a great fit. I do like the pick of Brian Leonard in the 2nd though he seems more like a Mike Martz type player than a Sean Linehan. We will see if Linehan can get the most out of his ability.

D+

Tennessee Titans- With the loss of there two top receivers from last year I really thought Meacham would have been the pick here. Mike Griffin is going to be a good player in this league, but I think the Titans are doing Vince Young no favors by not giving him any help. With the loss of Travis Henry also they are putting a lot on the shoulders of the talented second year player.

Washington Redskins- This D+ is a deceiving grade. Laron Landry is a difference maker. I just don’t know how important it is too have two great safeties when you dline is an absolute sieve. They added some nice prospects at linebacker, but that was already one of there deeper positions. I like all the players just not what they needed most. They picked best available pretty much all the way through and I punished them for that.

D


Philadelphia Eagles- Ick! There first pick was on a quarterback after they signed Harrington. I guess McNabb is not getting healthy. They are usually one of the best drafting teams building from up front. I just wasn’t blown away with any of there picks.

3 comments:

Professor Howdy said...

Hello!
Very good posting.
Thank you - Have a good day!!!

Anonymous said...

I gotta differ with you on the Bears. Your logic is killing me. Because they've been winning with defense, they should draft more defense? First off, a team needs to fill a hole with a good player in the first round. You don't go for depth with a first round pick, asshole. You go for starters.

The big hole at Chicago, IMO, is at QB. Still, the Bears don't get that, and there was nobody worth a shit left in this draft anyway. The OL is solid. There's a top 5 pick at RB. The receivers are producing when healthy. Hey, what about TE? Got a good guy who hurts himself every time he catches a ball. How 'bout a big fast fucking playmaker from Miami? Deal.

Still, if you want some defensive depth they DID FUCKING draft a DE, a CB, a SS and a LB. Note that the Bears currently have three starter quality DEs. If they like the new kid, don't be surprised to see him become a legit backup and one of the Big Three sent packing for another need.

Then, you don't even MENTION the Bears trading the 37th pick for 3 more picks in this draft (a 2nd, 3rd and 5th rounder) and then also a 3rd rounder in next year's draft. The Bears completely hosed San Diego in this deal. SD got a safety from Utah, Chicago gets Bazuin (who may move to DT), Wolfe and a safety, plus another friggin' pick in the 3rd next year. Oh yeah, and this 37th pick was the one the Bears got for unloading Thomas Jones' salary onto the Jets. Jones is good, but the Bears have two starter quality guys in their backfield (Benson and Peterson) and picked up Darius Walker and Wolfe for depth. Deal with that.

Garrett Wolfe is not going to replace Thomas Jones and nobody wants him to. Cedric Benson is. Peterson is going to back up and play in two back sets. Wolfe and Darius Walker are going to get looks at Plan B. You'll probably see Wolfe in third and 10, catching one of Rexy's 2 yard passes but actually having a shot at picking up the other 8 yards needed.

You give the Pack a better grade for drafting an injured DT - where they are already fairly deep - who NOBODY, I mean NOBODY, else in the NFL would have taken with such a high pick? Have you been homerized? The Packers draft was fucking laughable and pathetic. The big story was that they were going to get Moss and they fucked that up too. A+, douchebags.

Big Tasty said...

timmay, I didnt think the Packers had a great draft but I do think they had a better draft then the Bears. As for being a homer, you may or may not know I am not at all a Packer fan. I guess i just look at the draft differently, I look at it as a way to build depth and continue building a foundation for your team. I agree with you the Bears defense is better than there offense and I think this is where most people are wrong when it comes to the draft. Rex Grossman sucks, I dont think anyone will argue, but they did make the superbowl with him. I really dont think he was the reason at all and I dont think one overrated Miami TE is going to make Rexy a better QB. As for drafting for Starters yeah starters for years to come. If I look at this draft five years from now I want to have 3 maybe 4 starters from my draft class and then it will be a good draft. I dont care if I have one starter next year. I have never seen an NFL team go from good to great because of one first round pick. In the age of the salary cap you cannot think like that. I am just saying for the Bears to be good, yes they need some improvement on offense, but the whole key to the football team is making sure that defense continues to play at a high level. With imminent loss of Briggs, Tank, and Ian Scott I just thought this team should of looked to fill those needs. As for the Packers, I like Harrell more than most and most Packer fans will say that this was a horrible draft, i just disagree. I the key of your team just like any sport is up the middle and continue to build on that foundation. The Eagles have been great at this they have taken an olinemen of dlinemen in the first round of the draft for the last five years. This is just my thought on how you can be solid for many years, and I think there is a lot less risk in drafting a guy like Harrell then a guy like Olsen. I agree the Bears have 3 very good DE and that was not a need but I think they would have been better off with Branch, and I question the trade of Jones to NY. Im believe the Bears are going to take a step backwords next year and Greg Olsen is going to do little to stop that. If you look at my grades I gave more value to teams that took safe picks up the middle in the early rounds and filled needs in the later rounds, it is my belief that is how you draft well and i dont think the Bears did that.