Friday, November 21, 2008

Opening Weekend of Deer Hunting is Upon Us

I know if you are not from Wisconsin then this does not matter to you. Hell I am born and raised in a small town in Wisconsin and to tell you the truth I could give two shits about hunting, but it is a tradition I will again be taking part of this year. See my father is a lover of all things out doors. He can spend hours in his garden, or out in the woods looking for mushrooms, or on a lake slaying fish. I could not be more different then my father. I hate mother nature, and the only thing I really like to do outside that cant be done inside is bathe the whale (really big stomach) in the sun. The last two years I did not go hunting or fishing and did not really miss it that much. However I did miss one thing, and that is spending quality time with my father when he is truly happy. I see my father every day and we get along great, but we see each other at work, and that is not quality bonding. The other times I see my father is when we are working on my house and he is providing the help I could never afford or do on myself which is truly wonderful. I am the luckiest kid in the world, with the best father in the worl. Again however this is work and it just cannot compare to cracking a beer with your dad after a day on the boat, telling stories of the fight the one that got away put up. Or the smell of blood on your hands as you just gutted your first deer, and see the big smile on your fathers face, as you gag from that god awful smell. I never realized how special those moments were until I quit going the last two years. My dad has asked me a few times if I wanted to go again, and I said probably not, but I suprised him and myself by buying a tag for this weekend. Now I could care less if I shoot the biggest buck in the state of Wisconsin, that really does not matter to me at all. However getting back in the woods with my dad, sucking down a half case of high lifes, telling stories of the bullets whizzing by my head, or how I woke up and to gun fire but it was too late as the deer had already ran past me, will be well worth the $25 it cost me to buy the license. So I will finish this up by saying take a look at some of the things you used to do as a family and ask yourself why you don't do them anymore. I gurantee that even though they did not seem that fulfilling at the time, every second you spend with those closest to you will be worth it and then some when you no longer are able to do those things or when those people are no longer around to share those memories with.

1 comment:

Timmay said...

You hit it on the head there, Cuz. Someday, hopefully a long, long time from now, you won't have the old man to kick around anymore. I promise you, you will never, ever say, "Gee, I wish I'd spent less time hunting with him."