Friday, July 24, 2009

Live Music Friday - Radiohead

I must disclose to the reader(s) that I will be in attendance at the Coldplay show at Alpine Valley tomorrow night. I understand that many of you will use that information to disregard anything I write about music ever again. Transparency above ego.

However, this fact leads me to Radiohead for two reasons: (1) The best live show I've ever seen in person was Radiohead at Alpine Valley in August 2003, and (2) Coldplay has become the biggest band in the world by trying to sound like a cross between U2 and Radiohead. Turns out, if you take an interesting musical style and make it a little bit shittier and more boring, lots of Americans will tune in.

Anyway, even though large segments of the American population are oblivious to it, Radiohead is probably the most important band of the past decade. They are already in Rolling Stone's Top 100 rock bands of all time. Kid A, OK Computer and In Rainbows all won Grammies for Best Alternative Album, and each was nominated for Album of the Year (all genres). What's even more mind-blowing is that a poll of the British declared OK Computer to be the greatest album of all time, beating out the likes of The Beatles (Sgt. Peppers and Revolver), Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon) Michael Jackson (Thriller), and Nirvana (Nevermind). When the British like you better than the Beatles, you are King Shit of Fuck Mountain.

Beyond the innovative styles, layers, textures and overall atmosphere that Radiohead's acclaimed records deliver in full force - a Radiohead record can make you feel dizzy and high, and will alter your mood in every listen - they are also an absolutely phenomenal live act. It's hard to believe that they can reproduce all of the unusual sound, feel, and ambience of their recorded albums and actually kick it up a notch in intensity for a live performance, but they do exactly that. I would have loved to have found a great live show in front of a huge audience, but they all sound like shit recorded on somebody's cell phone camera.

The clip below is from a live performance from In Rainbows - From the Basement, a production they did concurrent with the release of the album. It was performed and shot in a recording studio, but it is a live performance, the likes of which most people will never be fortunate enough to see in person. They did the entire In Rainbows album, but tossed in a couple of older tunes, including Where I End and You Begin (The Sky is Falling In) shown below.

Please see below for a band that is better than that band you like, playing a song that is better than that song you like, in a performance that is better than that live act you like so well. Deal with it.

By the way, if anybody here can look as creepy at Thom Yorke, you're invited to my Halloween party.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know how I know you're gay? You're going to Coldplay...

Timmay said...

Well, that's one of the ways you can tell.

Big Tasty said...

I will never knock anyone for going to a live show. Hell I would probably go see Britany live if it was cheap and someone wanted me to go with. Coldplay is definitely a solid band, although I dont care for them, I am sure they will be entertaining. Hell I would go to Alpine just to party outside the gates. Radiohead is solid I have just started listening in the last year or so. I cannot name a lot of there songs or even name any of the artists, but I enjoy them as musicians. Again you came strong with the Friday music free for all.

McGarnagle said...

TK, I was at that show at Alpine, it was my 21st Birthday. I would have to say it was fucking mindblowing. I wish I had been closer.

All the albums have been spectacular, but for me, OK Computer was the most mindblowing. To truly appreciate it though, you HAVE to listen to it front to back without interuption.