Thursday, February 22, 2007

Top Ten: Action Movies

#10 The Matrix: Yes this movie was watered down by the two movies that followed this one, but at its time this was one of the coolest movies I have ever seen. I had to watch it a few times to understand it but you know it must be well written if you can believe Keanu as a super hero. I believed it.

#9 The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers: My favorite from the trilogy also had the best action. I know a lot of people are not into the sword, ax, and bow wielding action but this movie kicks ass and all you haters can go to hell.

#8 Raiders of the Lost Arc:
I know I know all trilogies but these are all really good movies. The first Indiana Jones is action packed with a snake pit, a great bar fight, and probably one of the most famous fist fights of any movie. Which ended with a decapitation I might add.

#7 Resevoir Dogs: Tarentino’s first movie does not have a ton of action in it but I think you need to call it an action movie. This is the first of three tarentino movies to make my list.

#6 Sin City: To me this is a very underrated film that is probably the coolest looking movie I have ever seen. The movie is supposed to look just like the graphic novel and there are scenes that are identical. Great performances by Willis, Owen, and Rourke and throw in the beautiful Alba, Dawson, and Murphy and you have a great movie. If it came out earlier it probably would be higher on my list.

#5 Kill Bill: Volume One: I really enjoyed these movies and as hard it is to believe that Uma Thurman could be Samuraiesque she is actually pretty believable with a sword. Toss in Tarentino as the director and this goes down as one of the best action movies ever.

#4 True Lies:
I had to have one Arnold movie on my list and I think this beats out both Terminators and Eraser as the one. This movie has everything great action, a great striptease, and of course the funniest character I have ever seen, Bill Paxton as the used car salesman. “The Vet gets the wet”. I love this movie.

#3 Heat: A very realistic action movie that has some great acting performances by DeNiro, Pacino, and Kilmer. Michael Mann is probably my second favorite action director behind Tarentino and that is a close second with films like this Last of the Mohicans, Collateral, and Miami Vice.

#2 Platoon:
The only war movie to make my list. This is a really violent and really realistic action movie that I think Oliver Stone hits a home run on. This movie is not for everyone but if Vietnam was anything like this it could be possible the most fucked up place in the world.

#1 Pulp Fiction:
I don’t know if this is technically an action movie because Tarentino could have his own genre all together. However this movie is one of my favorite movies of all time. The dialogue is amazing, the action is real, and there are some really funny parts. Throw in a great script and you have my #1 action movie of all-time.

Honorble Mention:
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Braveheart, Return of the Jedi, Empire Strikes Back, The Rock, Eraser, Terminator 1 and 2, Jaws, and Saving Private Ryan.

No comments: