Monday, February 5, 2007

Top Ten: Villains

The criteria for the list is pretty simple. I looked at the character, and the performance of an actor portraying the character. Not all movies have a true villain so i may have went with the bad guy in the movie too.

#10 Bob Sugar (Jerry Maguirre) Jay Mohr can play an asshole better than anyone except maybe Alec Baldwin and Dennis Leary. He is so good in this movie that he makes the list doing a comedy something no one else on this list does.

#9 Johnny Ringo (Tombstone) One of my favorite Western characters. Ringo, played by Michael Biehn (another of my favorite underrated actors), is a great rival to the two heros of the film Wyat Erp and Doc Holiday. The final scene between Ringo is Holiday is a dream for all of those that like a bad ass duel.

#8 Hans Gruber (Die Hard) Alan Rickman's portrayal of a terrorist is somewhat not convincing but his portrayal of an angry German who cannot believe that some asshole is spoiling his genius plan of robbing a bank during the Xmas party is classic. *Spoiler* Rickman will apear again on this list.

#7 Ivan Drago (Rocky IV) American Hero faces Soviet Giant the stakes the Cold War. What a fitting story for this villain to shine. Dolph Lundgren could be one of the worst actors of all time but his role as the pissed of Commy is outstanding. Note- Not even close to my favorite Rocky but Drago has some classic lines. "I must break you" and "If he dies he dies".

#6 Warden Samuel Norton (Shawshank Redemption) A warden like this truly makes the outcome of this movie all the more enjoyable. I hated this guy and I remember hearing people cheering when he gives himself the easy way out.

#5 Sheriff of Nottingham (Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves) Rickman again delivers this time as the role of the evil sheriff. I really thought that he made me like this movie as the stars Costner, Freeman, and even Slater were not really that good.

#4 Bill "The Butcher" Cutting (Gangs of New York) I almost made this #1 that is how close my top 4 are. Danielle Day Lewis' role in this movie is one of the most chilling I have ever seen. He is a horrible man yet you feel for him when he is betrayed by someone who is close to him. He deserved an award for this movie IMHO.

#3 Joker (Batman) There is not much you can say about Jack Nicholson's performance in this movie other than if he was not in it this would be a horrible movie. Was any one else rooting for him at the end when he was hanging on the ladder rope from the chopper? Great performance.

#2 Hanibal Lecter (Silence of the Lambs) Note I put only Silence of the Lambs up there becaue I think the other movies have really taken away from Hopkins performance in Silence. Still I don't think I have been as scared of one man in my life. Any character that inspires a prequel to the prequel will make my list.

#1 Amon Goeth (Schindler's List) It may be how much i really enjoyed this movie or the fact that Goeth was the leader of a concentration camp but this is truly my favorite villain. Ralph Fiennes is as good as they come as an actor and truly underrated. His role is spectacular as you even feel some compassion for this horrible man.

No comments: