Monday, November 26, 2007

Movie Review: No Country For Old Men


Let me start out by saying that I will be going to see this movie again real soon, it was that captivating to me and I feel like even though this movie was fresh in my brain I feel like I need to see it again to get more out of it. This is Coen Brothers movie so I have very high expectations and this movie filled all of them. It is based on a novel and i can best describe it as a story of a two men, one the hunter the other the hunted and there relationship with one another, as well as look inside each of these characters. I know that is a poor description, but I have never seen a movie anything like this before and I dont really know how to describe it. I can say this movie played just like reading a book and didnt follow the formula we see played out with some many suspense movies these days. They were able to make this very intense thriller, without needing any tricks. As far as a script goes the Coen Bros are pretty much the best in the business. This script is brilliant as it delivers a powerful message without the need for pointless dialogues. What is great about a movie playing out like a novel is that the viewer can take much more movie like that. For instance the subtle use of symbolism and great imagery really give you a feel that this movie should not just be taken for its literall meaning. Like any really good book this movie is much more of a character study than a story, and the story is only used to better examine each of the great characters.

This is in my opinio where this movie really excels and probably should be considered as academy worthy. What wonderful characters, I have no doubts that many people could have been good in these roles, but the Coen bros choices were perfect. Javier Bardem, a rising Spanish actor, was absolutly chilling in his role as Anton Chigurh, a hit man for hire, who has turned his attention on collecting 2 million dollars that has become missing from a drug scene massacre. Bardem, is wonderful and should see an academy nomination for this role. James Brolin, who is also in American Gangster, plays the role of Llewelyn Moss, the man who finds the 2 million dollars and though he doesnt want to get involved he sees this as his one opportunity to make it big in america. Watching Brolin square off against Bardem is some truly suspenseful scenes is the highlight of this movie to me. Tommy Lee Jones plays the character of a local sheriff trying to find Brolin and offer him protection. Jones can be heard as part narrator in this film, and his monologue at the beginning sets the tone for this wonderful movie. All three are excellent in this film.

This movie is in my top 5 films of the year, and like I said I will be seeing it again soon. It is a wonderful look at the indecency of man, and a look at the sometimes horrific nature of mankind. It redefines suspense in American Cinema, and I consider this the best movie the Coen Brothers have ever made. That is saying a lot from the man the brought us Fargo and the Big Lebowski.

No comments: