Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I Think Kanye Is Pulling the Wool Over Everyones Eyes

I got a text from my roommate this weekend that said, "he has more evidence that Kanye West is the best rapper ever". Well first of all aaron get a clue, I stopped listening to your musical opinion as soon as you traded me the Master P, Ghetto D cd, for Mase our sophomore year in high school. You are just accustomed to liking shitty music and that is cool. I understand, however I did some reseach, and found this to be the video (below) in which aaron told me that Kanye is the best rapper, and all can say is are you fucking kidding me? I guess he calls that singing and his new sound is really taking over the world despite how awful it is. It sounds like this is the last leg of a 10 year tour. I remember when he ripped on Justin Timberlake about not having any talent, and I am not a big JTim fan but come on it is not even close when you compare the two. Kanye may sell some records but he has America fooled.

Dont get me wrong, I like some Kanye. When his first album dropped I thought to myself this guy is going to be one of the best music producers tome come along in a while. His beats were great, his voice (message) was new and different. However the Louis Vuitton Don has now come to this. I respect him for trying something new, for putting out a different sound, but stick to what you are good at becasue this is horrible. What is worse, is my other roomie Jake is someone who I respect very much for his appreciation for music, and I have been hearing him sing this shit all weekend. I just dont understand. I mean his sound is a lot better after it is digitally altered and what not. To be honest I dont know how he makes himself sound reasonable talented but he has fooled a lot of people. This is basically a guy who can write some clever lines, and come up with amazing beats, but he is a terrible singer, a terrible rapper and I think it is amazing that this is what american pop music has come to. I heard an interview where Kanye wants to be compared with Elvis when he is done. Wow is all I can say to that. I dont know that much about music, but I do know that people like the beatles, elvis, Hendrix, Zeppelin, Michael Jackson, Prince, they all were very talented and they all transcended the boundaries known to music at the time. Kanye may try very hard to be compared with those legends, but in my mind he will always be famous for the same reason Lil Wayne is. The children that listen to the radio and buy this garbage have no fucking clue what good music is. They like a good beat that will stick in there head until the next terrible song comes out that they can change there ring tone to. Dont get me wrong,some of these songs are very catchy, but america lets not be fooled into calling this good music.

7 comments:

McGarnagle said...

I thought the song was terrible, and then heard the live version. Wow.

And you are spot on Big Tasty. Many people equate bigtime radio play with being the best quality music available due to the radio stations playing them. What it really means is that wealthy record companies found another homogenized band/artist/rapper that will appeal to the widest audience possible in order to move product. It is sad because some of the best musicians, songwriters, etc don't get nearly enough of the audience as they deserve.


Know what you like and spend a little time finding it out there on the internet and you will find stuff that blows the lids off most of the garbage on the radio.

The new Rhapsody subscription allows for unlimited downloads to your computer. A conversion program called SoundTaxi will convert to MP3. So, for $15/month you can download a few thousand CDs.

Harps said...

wow, i saw this last night and thought the same thing, i have never been a fan of this guy and after i saw him on the cover of rolling stone dressed as jesus and it said the passion of the kanye i told myself i will turn the station every time this fag comes on.

And by the way it is ok to like/love JT and put him in with those other artists you said he is deffently up there, but then again my look on music has never been that great (the group dream right Kempf)

Timmay said...

Maybe I'm just too fucking old, but I haven't really dug any newer rappers pretty much since Jay Z.

I grew up on Rakim, Run DMC, Beastie Boys, Chuck D, KRS-One, Ice Cube, LL Cool J, etc. The rhymes rhymed, they were clever, they were cool, they rhymed to a rhythm, they had shit to say, they could stick to a theme and play it out.

To me, a lot of this new stuff just sounds like some douchebag running his fucking mouth without any idea of what he might say next and without regard to whether it fits at all in terms of rhyming or rhythm. Kanye represents that to me in a big way.

I feel like I could pic up a mic, put on some douchey sunglasses and say, "I got up this morning and I shoveled the walk, then I took a hot shower, dressed and drove to work, it was cold and I like sandwiches with lettuce and I also like watching the Badgers play and my son is pretty cool..." and make gold records.

It's like the difference between a Robert Frost poem and some goatee wearing douchebag at the coffee shop open mic night reading some shit he wrote down while riding public transportation. But perhaps I'm being unkind.

Big Tasty said...

TK, I am an agreement with you Jay Z was the last mainstream rapper that I really enjoyed and even he jumped the shark. Well I liked the first 2 eminem cds as well. The problem is rap music isnt dead the good shit just isnt played on the mainstream. I am not sure what it is but I am blaming the influence on the southern rappers who took these beats that are very catchy re-write the same horrible lyrics and come out with a single every other day. I swear Lil Wayne, Akon, T-Pain, are on 90% of the hip hop I here on the radio. I cannot listen to the radio anymore.

I would like to say that there is plenty of good hip hop out there. I am a huge fan of Sage, Brother Ali, Lyrics Born, Lupe Fiasco, etc. I guess what I am hoping for is a 50 year Dr Dre releasing Detox and changing mainstream rap back to the way it was.

C-Weed said...

Dude I saw this on SNL. I couldnt believe my ears it was god awful. The best part about Kanye is that he goes around yelling making a scene about how great he is and how he doesnt get any respect. He looks like a bigger fag than he already is.
I think Kanye is really talented but he is trying too hard to reinvent himself on every record. He needs to stick to what he is good at. Making beats and producing songs. I think his time as a rapper died after his second album. I mean how words actually rhyme with louis vattan and gucci. At some point you just have to say to yourself "what the fuck and I doing" walk out the vocal booth and into the garage close garage door, start your car and wait. I hate you Kanye.

huh said...

Oh, gosh, where do I begin.

First, the linked video got pulled so I wasn't able to see it. I can only imagine, based on Kanyes historic tenure as a rapper, how awesomely horrible and big headed and douchy it must be.

Yeah, I heard Kanye rip on JT and say that he's the next Elvis. I also heard him cry and bitch that he kept getting snubbed at the Grammys and the VMAs. Hes just making music to be popular and rewarded, not because he loves it. That's why his music feels dead to me. Its fake. Its void of emotion save for greed and materialism. I mean this just goes to show who he wants to be accepted by. Hes jealous of JT because JTs "the next Elvis" and JT has all the screaming teenage girls buying his shit. And not getting a MTV award? Has he seen MTV lately? It's straight up garbage. You'd be lucky to even see a video on that channel. And when you do its TPain or Chingy bullshit. Christ, MTV, give him an award!! He surly deserves to be accepted by your joke for a music television station. He'd fit right in.

It's sad in a way because hip hop has gone through an amazing transition the past 15 years. It's just not being seen by anyone. I tell people i love rap music and they instantly ask how i could possibly like listening to Chingy or Lil Wayne or TPain or Skibby Scrap Crap rap or whoever. Theyres a new rapper everyday. MTV puts them on TRL then on Cribs then has them perform at the VMAs and then they die. Kanye just has a big mouth. Big mouths dont die. But theyres so much good hip hop out there. People just dont know about it.

But i could go on forever about how much i hate Kanye. I just dont want to. Im too tired.

And, yes Harper, Dream is still the best group ever.

Anonymous said...

I wasnt able to see the video either, but dont have to see it to know that Kanye is garbage. He produced some good shit for JayZ before he blew up. The College Dropout was amazing. Late Registration was eh, ok. But that's as far as it goes. Everything after that was straight shit. Someone left a copy of his new cd in my car. I couldnt believe it. Every song sounds exactly the same with that voice machine thing.

Not gonna lie, used to like Lil Wayne. But lately its a fuckin joke. He's on every remix out there and it doesnt sound like he's even trying. He's like im gonna go in here and say some shit that doesnt rhyme and is all off beat and all the 16 year olds are gonna bump this shit. And they do.

I hope Lupe doesnt take the Kanye route. Everyone talked shit when I first liked College Dropout and of course everyone's on his nuts now. It was kinda the same thing with Lupe. Just hope he doesnt turn into an asshole like Kanye.
PS-looking for some good hip hop? Talib Kweli