Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year!


New Year's Eve to New Year's Day. Sure, it's just an arbitrary line drawn upon eternity, but at least it's an agreed upon moment at which most of the world pauses and draws a bold line between the time that has passed and the time that is yet to come to pass.

For many, it has become a time to party and celebrate the transition. It's a pretty fucking optimistic practice actually - to "celebrate" a new year before anything good has even happened. Perhaps we're just celebrating the opportunity to have another year to work with and try to get our bullshit act together. We celebrate it on faith, I guess.

Some people will be celebrating that they had a fantastic 2008 and are hopeful for continued good fortune in 2009. Others will celebrate putting that shitstain of a year 2008 behind them forever and hoping for the best in the coming year. Adam Duritz spoke for many when he wrote, "A long December, and there's reason to believe maybe this year will be better than the last."

I have nothing against a good NYE party, I've lampshaded a few in my day. Still, I've always liked to use the occasion as a opportunity to reflect. To wax pompously about the significance of the passing of time, the recognition of milestones and the creation of Top 5 lists, Nick Hornby style.

I'd love to be able to establish a new tradition - new to me, anyway - among the folks I celebrate NYE with. In this case, because I'm mainly waiting for you to stop talking so I can say something interesting, I limit it to Top 1 lists. Not to ruin a good party with introspective, philosophical bullshit, but maybe to inject some meaningful, personal conversation into the pre-party, base-building dinner.

I challenge each of you - or in the case of our reader(s), just you - to reflect on 2008 that has passed and 2009 yet to come. For 2008, what is the single best, greatest thing that happened to you? What is the single worst thing or your greatest disappointment? Go ahead. I'll wait.

Once you've sobbed and wallowed your way through some honest reflection on 2008, pick your head up and look to the future. What is your greatest hope for 2009, for you personally? What do you really hope to do, bring about, change, etc.? Second, what is your greatest fear for 2009? Honestly, what is foreseeable in 2009 that you really could fuck up in a tragic way?

I think this breaks it down to the essence of what is important to you. What kind of person are you? What really matters to you?

I'll start with an easy one. The greatest thing that happened to me in 2008 - most likely ever - was the addition of our son, Myles, who joined us in August. I just can't explain how awesome it is to have him in our lives, so I won't even try. The worst thing that happened to me was the effect of the market decline on my 401k. It's depressing to pour $10,000 into an account and find there is far less in it now than there was before your put the $10,000 in it. That's how great my year was for me and my family, losing some money that I don't need for 30 years was the absolute worst thing. No deaths in the family. No serious illnesses. Nobody lost their home or their job. Not too fucking shabby, 2008.

For 2009, my greatest hope is that my son will continue to grow and develop happily and in excellent health and that I will learn to be a great father to him. On the other side of that coin, my greatest fear for 2009 is that I will fail him in some meaningful way.

So, spit it out, douchebags. I don't mean figuratively. Post your damn responses, now, before the fucking year is gone forever.

I'll leave you with the 18th century poem by Scotsman Robert Burns, which was set to music and became one of my favorite songs. "Auld Lang Syne" translates roughly to "old long past." When marking the passage of time, it's also right and proper to remember old friends and drink to their memory. This song is one of the greatest things about New Year's Eve. Should we forget about old friends and the good old days? Fuck no, let's drink to 'em!

Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And days of auld lang syne?
For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne,
We'll tak' a cup o' kindness yet,
For auld lang syne.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot
And days of auld lang syne?
And here's a hand, my trusty friend
And give's a hand o' thine
We'll tak' a cup o' kindness yet
For auld lang syne.

1 comment:

Big Tasty said...

Tk,

Great post. I typically handle new years like any other bs holiday and just drink like a fish because I have the day off and not really reflect at all. Like I said before I have a new years saying, "a new year, a new beginning" because so often I like to put what I did in the previous year behind me and just move blindly forward, but I think you do raise a good point it is important to look back.

I think the thing I am happiest about 08' is was finding what is now the love of my life. Jenny was a friend of mine for 15 years before this year, and she was great. This year however I finally had the stones to put that friendship on the line for a chance at something more and for that I am greatful.

My biggest dissapointment of 08' is my chemical dependency. I tried on a few different occasions to kick some bad habbits I formed during my days of partying until the sun comes up, and I found out the hard way that they have a much bigger hold on me than I thought. This kind of goes towards my biggest goal of 09' in which is getting help kicking some tough habbits. I am currently looking at some laser therapy that is supposed to kill your urge to ever smoke or chew again, I am also looking at some hypnotists and some other quit smoking techniques but I realized my will isnt strong enough just to quit cold turkey.

I think the biggest fear I have moving into the new year, is the way I handle my added responsibilty at work. LCG is coming off one of its worst years in the last ten, and the economy can only be part to blame. As the year ended ownership made some changes, one in which gave me a much bigger responsibilty in getting work and doing sales, I hope to god i am up to the task.

Again great post! Have a Happy New Year everyone!