Monday, December 29, 2008

Not To Sound Like an Asshole But...

Every year we hear about people of the south forced to leave there homes because of tropical storms and how devastating they are. I usually turn the channel and say how is this a fucking trajesty they live in an area where these storms happen every year. Mother nature can be a real bitch, and devastating as hell, but I am not going to feel bad for you. I know that sounds terrible until you read this link About 220,000 people around the world died in natural disasters and only a handful of those actually happened in the US. The biggest death toll was an event I am pretty ashamed to say I never even heard about. I find these studies pretty interesting, because at some point these weather changes, and the cost that weather changes have had on this world are really going to have to be put on the front burner. The article also points out that the top 10 warmest years on this earth have all occured in the last 12 years. Not to sound like Al Gore, but holy shit maybe we shouldnt be ignoring this stuff.

1 comment:

huh said...

I see what you're saying, but it's just the fact that we share a national pride and a national being that we care for one another as flood victims more than we care about victims in Indonesia. Yeah, I know it's the world and they are our worldly "neighbors" and that we should care, but it's also true that we have the MLB and Chicago is our Central Division "neighbor" and I could give a fuck about the Cubs. So there. Settled. Analogy style.