Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Yet another movie review.

I went to see yet another movie last night. This time I went to see Pans Labyrinth written and directed by Guillermo Del Torro. I have been anticipating this movie for a long time (Internet geek hype) and though I thought I knew what too expect I was very surprised by this movie. For one this is one of the most violent films of the year. Not for children. Two I thought this was going to be a fantasy film but really it is not. The movie shows how children cope with the stress differently than adults, through there imagination. This film is fun to look at and the story is very good. Just a quick note that this movie is in subtitles so beware but I don't mind that at all and enjoyed this movie a lot.

I had heard a lot about this director before this movie came out about how he is as talented as they come. His first two movies Blade 2 and Hellboy were not really my type of movies. However, he was able to showcase his talents with this picture. Del Torro along with other Hispanic filmmakers Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu(Babel, 21 Grams, Amorres Perros) and Alfonso Cuaron (Y tu mama tambien, Harry Potter and the prisoner of Azkaban, and Children of Men) Are three directors that are on fire right now. These guys are making thoughtful movies that don't rely on big explosions or big name actors to carry out great stories. All three of these guys are really talented and should be directors you should watch out for in the future.

No comments: