Friday, December 7, 2007

The Business Debate Pt. 1

NBC hates the players, loves the game.

As many of you know Don Imus was recently rehired, after getting fired earlier in the year for comments he made regarding the Rutgers Women’s Basketball team. Imus, referred to some of the girls on the team as “nappy headed hoes”. This is an issue C$$ and I feel strongly about and in a new segment to the blog we will be hosting debates about some of these touchy subjects.

Tasty ~ I want to go on record that I am from a small town in Wisconsin, one in which was pretty white. I was not raised as a racist, but growing up I all I knew about other people’s culture was from what I saw in TV or read in a history book. When I went to college I probably was being racist, I was scared to ride the bus, I often talked negatively about areas of Milwaukee that were not upper middle class, if there was an open seat next to a black guy in class, I probably would not have sat there. The problem was I only new the stereotypes, I mean they are every where. You cannot watch a sitcom or movie without seeing so many stereotypes. The thing stereotypes have always been used as a sort of humor. I mean half of my favorite comedians are black and what do they joke about? They make jokes about stereotypes; I mean have you heard Chris Rock or Dave Chappelle white guys voice? That shit is hilarious. However the same stereotypes that are hilarious on T.V. and with all those comedians is just not appropriate, for anyone to joke about or even mention. It is a form of racism. If Rush Limbaugh, says African Americans make poor quarterbacks, that is a blatant form of racism. If Don Imus, calls some African American basketball players, “nappy headed hoes”, he deserves to be fired and never get called back again. The problem is stereotypes aren’t hurtful in the broad sense of the term. They are however hurtful. Do I think they are funny? Yes. Do I joke about stereotypes when I know nobody can be hurt by them? I do. However if you make them for the whole world to hear you deserve to be fired for being a god damn racist.

C-Weed ~ I don’t think the issue is whether or not D-dogg Imus should have been fired. I think the real problem here is who else falls under this ignorant clause. Lets take a look at how hypocritical NBC is. NBC Universal owns UMG (Universal Music Group), which in turn they own Interscope Records. Everyone still with me…in case nobody knows about Interscope Records they house such artist as: 2 Pac, Dr. Dre, Eminem, 50 Cent, G-Unit Records and the fine line up they have to offer, by line up I mean there many documented police line ups. Every one of these artists has blatantly exemplified drugs, guns, bitches and hoes. Don Imus actually talked about real issues. Controversial, yes. But he was a positive influence to many. He is a shock jock much like Howard Stern. This is why NBC hired him in the first place. Instead of making examples maybe they should give a little bit of the creative freedom they give to their other entertainers.

If NBC wants to start making examples then maybe they should be firing some of their artist who are rapping about fucking bitches and killing dudes while they roll in Escalades. I mean what the fuck Imus makes one joke about some chick’s hair and all hell breaks loose. This one time I told this homeless dude I hated his boots and to get a job. Good thing I am not employed by NBC they would probably cut my balls off. The real issue here is Don Imus got fired because white people are not allowed to ever and I mean never joke around about woman’s hair during a basketball game. I mean why would they wash and style it, it’s a basketball game it is just going to get all sweaty and nappy, oh shit I mean messy. He was just calling it like he saw it; it was a joke. Maybe he should have had Kanye West sample some old Jackson 5 beats and mixed up the “nappy headed hoes” line, looped it, remixed it with Beyonce, packaged it and sold it at Target for $9.99, then maybe the African American community would have been down with it. They would have been like “Oh snaps, yo you heard that new D-Dogg Imus joint? Dis called nappy headed hoes, fosheez Kanye mixed it, Beyonce rips it, it even comes wit a Jay Z pubic hair. Its hotttt boyyyyyyyy!” yeah something like that.

No comments: